Ace is a 30-year veteran of state and national politics and has directed winning campaigns from District Attorney to President. With deep experience on the West Coast, he specializes in high-stakes political, governmental and public affairs campaigns.
Over the years, Ace has worked with a roster of clients including Virginia Governor Doug Wilder (1989), Chicago Mayor Richard Daley (1989), U.S. Senator Paul Simon (1990), Texas Governor Ann Richards (1990), U.S. Senator Patty Murray (1992), U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (1992), U.S. Senator Kent Conrad (1994), Congressman Richard Gephardt (1994-2002), California Governor Gray Davis (1998, 2002), U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer (1992-2010) and Howard Dean for President (2004).
In 2005, Ace directed Antonio Villaraigosa's underdog campaign for Mayor of Los Angeles, marking the first time since the 1930's that a Los Angeles Mayor had been defeated after a single term. In 2006, he ran Jerry Brown's campaign for California Attorney General and served as State Director for U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton's campaigns in California, Texas, and North Carolina during the 2008 Democratic Presidential Primary. In 2010, Ace and his partners were instrumental in the historic election of San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris as California Attorney General and San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom as California Lieutenant Governor. Ace ran San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee's victorious campaign and led the historic Proposition 30 effort for Governor Brown.
Ace also has extensive experience advising corporate clients and winning complex initiative campaigns. The subject of several newspaper profiles, Ace was called "legendary" by the New York Times and political campaign manager "heavyweight champion of the year" in the San Francisco Chronicle. Ace earned his B.A. in English Literature from the University of California, Berkeley.
More about Ace
- Ace Smith campaigns against teen social isolation San Francisco Chronicle, April 19, 2012
- Campaign whiz provides state's Dems an ace in hole San Francisco Chronicle, Nov 28, 2010
- Clinton's man in California a pro at digging up dirt San Francisco Chronicle, May 12, 2007
- Clinton sends her 'stopper' to Texas San Francisco Chronicle, Feb. 15, 2008
- Clinton's California ace takes fight to Texas San Francisco Chronicle, March 1, 2008
- He's the man to fear – unless he's on your side Los Angeles Times, May 3, 2008